[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do*you* stand?

Ismael Valladolid Torres ivalladt at punkass.com
Thu Feb 23 05:34:24 EST 2006

Jan Depner escribe:
>     Maybe in your country.  In the US, copyright is automatic and
> doesn't even have to be registered (since 1998).  Registering copyright
> can help you to defend it but all you have to do to claim copyright is
> to "publish" the work.  In the legal sense "publish" means to issue the
> work on any medium with a claim of copyright on it to someone other than
> yourself.

I think in most countries copyright is "automatic". It wouldn't make
sense to give a legal basis to CC licenses otherwise. What you do
licensing your material as CC is "refusing" to the "automatic"
copyright up to the level you decide.

That's also why things need to be released to the public domain
explicitly.

As an example, text in my blog and my Flickr pictures are licensed
CC-by, this means anybody can use them personally or commercially and
that I only ask for attribution. I couldn't do that on a Copyright
basis.

I don't mean that anybody's reusing anything, maybe my material is not
interesting enough. :)

Cordially, Ismael
--
mí, myself et moi http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/