[linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Thu Feb 23 08:27:34 EST 2006

Ken Schutte wrote:

> I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card.
> I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into
> sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc).  No matter what I've tried, if I try to
> get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention some
> terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)

What kind of guitar are you using? What kind of pickups?

> Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound?
> Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
> out there?
>
> There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
> alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all.  I'd
> like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
> I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.

I personally don't recommend going direct into the sound card with a
guitar, you should at least use a pre-amp or something to boost the
signal, since the level coming from the pickups is very low, and the
pre-amp in the sound card can be easy to overdrive with a guitar.
Something like the M-Audio Audio Buddy or one of the ART MP tube
pre-amps (both are relatively inexpensive) might be good for some
things, although a real guitar pre-amp is ideal (and expensive). You can
also get modeling pre-amps, like the Behrenger V-Amp (only $99 from
Musician's Friend) or the Line 6 PODxt (about $299) -- these allow you
to model amplifiers, microphones, rooms, etc., as well as give you a
variety of effects and tone options. These are great for recording with,
and you're neighbors will appreciate it also. :-)

If you have the space and forgiving neighbors and decent microphones,
miking your guitar amp is the best option... this depends on the amp, of
course. A cheap 15 watt Squier isn't going to sound all that great no
matter what way you record it, whereas a 15 watt Fender Blonde Blues
Junior Class A tube amp should *only* be miked and never used direct, IMHO.

-- Brett
--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com