[linux-audio-user] Re: Accessibility: Tips for making sounds for the masses?

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Thu Feb 23 23:26:21 EST 2006

Hi James! Thanks for participating! You're really making me think here,
and that's a good thing.

Here we go.

>>The reaction I want from people is: "MAAAAAAN that's so cool why can't
>>the sucker produce as fast as I can listen? MORE MORE MORE!!!!"
>

> That's an interesting position.  Are you looking at making music
> commercially, or do you see acceptance as one of the qualities of
> music that you'd like to be able to quantify and add as much of as you
> want?

It's a cross-section of a lot of things. I want to be a successful
musician and I want a broad fan-base. I also want to make music that is
useful, that energizes. I want to give people their money's worth, EVEN
THOUGH I WON'T BE CHARGING.

To do that, I have to make the music from my audience's perspective
(even when my future audience doesn't even know I exist yet).

> Personally, I make what I enjoy making.  It still surprises me that
> what I try to do is quite different from what I listen to normally.

I was their with a band I had too but I quit. I feel strongly that my
music is a means to connect, and to connect, I have to adapt.

> If it ever occurred that what I created was something that the masses
> wanted to consume, it would be a completely accidental confluence.

:) Yeah it's a lot of hard work to make something consumable, and I
haven't seen myself do a lot of work by accident recently ;) LOL

> That's not to say that I see myself as above all that.  As the list
> knows, I like my feedback as much as anyone else.  I'm not sure I'd be
> happy if people loved my stuff because I'd tried to make it lovable
> before I made it mine.

Well, I hope hope hope that I am succeding in making stuff that gets me
loved because it is loving... Actually, bottom line is I want the music
to be as loving to as many people as it can and hopefully spread a lot
of happiness. Whether I express myself is actually secondary, but I
think it's hard to avoid if I am to create a truly genuine product.

Carlo