[linux-audio-user] Re: rosegarden without KDE?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Fri Feb 24 16:09:41 EST 2006

On Fri February 24 2006 15:24, fons adriaensen wrote:
> And you can't even disable this madness except via
> the KDE 'control center'. Why should I even consider
> running that when I don't use KDE ?

I've had the problem in the other direction; there used to be a
program called "switch" that would let you change the style and
font of all Gtk/GNOME apps without running GNOME's control
center, but if it's still around it's not packaged by Mandriva
and gnome-control-center just brings up a blank window under
KDE.

GNOME is wed to gconf and KDE is wed to a million little files
under the .kde directory (which is fine with me, because I'd
rather lose the settings for one app if power goes out or
something than all of my apps at once.... c.f. Windows
registry.)  They both need to take their heads out of their
asses and compromise on some single config repository with
commonly named settings shared across both desktops.

I'm too used to little niceties like drag and drop menu items and
being able to go "fish://username@somehost" to browse files on
other machines (via SSH) to give up the modern desktop
environments, but I am tempted at times to move back to IceWM
anyway.  There sure would be a lot less unexpected CPU hogging
when I'm trying to record audio that way.

Rob