[linux-audio-user] Re: rosegarden without KDE?

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Fri Feb 24 21:12:44 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:16:59PM +0100, Petter Sundlöf wrote:

> fons adriaensen wrote:
>
> >Why should K3B play ugly desktop sounds when it finishes
> >burning a CD ?
> (...)
> >And you can't even disable this madness except via
> >the KDE 'control center'. Why should I even consider
> >running that when I don't use KDE ?
>
> Settings>Configure K3b>Notifications...
>
> doesn't require any control center to be launched.

Are you referring to some menu ? Then

- How should I know that "Notifications" means to output
  sounds at maximum level ? For all I know it refers to
  some essential interaction between the CD drive and the
  software. I trust the defaults and I don't want to touch
  it.

- Why aren't these sounds *disabled* by default ? When
  I want to burn a CD, I don't expect the software that
  I'm using to go online, format a partition, rename my
  files, play sounds, charm my girlfriend, ...

I wrote to the author of K3B after it nearly destroyed
by speakers, and asked if it was possible to configure
K3B so it would do only its core business and nothing
else. The simple answer was: No, since it is a KDE app.

--
FA