[linux-audio-user] Re: info about demudi

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Feb 25 09:47:21 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 at 13:02 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> On 2/24/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > > PPS: and no, DEMuDi isn't dead, there's a lot of activity going on on
> > > the debian-multimedia mailing list (because DeMuDi is _not_ a different
> > > thing than debian) and things are getting interesting...
> >
> > Heh, now THAT's good news. Actually I shouldn't be surprised since all
> > the audio apps were already there when I switched to plain Debian
> > Testing with only kernel and PAM custom.
> >
> > Carlo
>

> That is great news, for sure!
>
> >From the list of apps that I've collected, these don't appear to be in
> debian yet:
> -aeolus
> -ceres
> -ceres3
> -dssi-vst
> -freecycle
> -gmorgan
> -hexter
> -jdelay
> -kaconnect
> -linuxsampler
> -mx44
> -om
> -omins
> -qamix
> -qarecord
> -qmidiarp
> -qmidicontrol
> -qmidiroute
> -qsampler
> -smack
> -vcf-plugins
> -xsynth-dssi
>
> I realize that dssi-vst probably won't end up in debian at all because
> of licensing, but weren't some of those in DeMuDi?

Of that list I use aeolus and hexter, and I know they weren't in demudi.
AFAIK most of the demudi packages have made their way into debian by now
and demudi is mostly glue code. You can look for yourself at the demudi
custom repo which has the demudi-specific packages. See for example
http://apt.agnula.org/custom/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages

Looks like dssi-vst, gmorgan, linuxsampler, and qsampler are in the
custom repo as well.

> Out of curiousity, what apps do you use in place of them, especially
> ones like linuxsampler or qmidiarp?

Well these days running demudi means having demudi in your sources.list
(and installing demudi fresh, if you're not already entrenched). So I
have the demudi packages as well as the plethora of debian ones. But
some I have to compile by hand. As I have experience with making debian
packages I usually decide whether to use the source version or make a
package. Usually it's easier for me to just use the source.

> It's only a matter of time before debian ships with rlimits-aware PAM.

In fact the PAM maintainer is aware of it and is in the middle of
maintenance mode on the package, so he's planning to wait to put in the
rlimits patch until he packages a new upstream version. If you want to
see it sooner do feel free to make your voice heard. Package maintainers
are generally more responsive than congressmen, although they can also
be a bit more stubborn. :)

Some demudi packages are probably only waiting for some TLC before being
put into debian. Demudi wasn't as adherent to debian policy, in the
spirit of being more agile and getting people what they wanted quicker.
Some of the packages in that custom list just need things like proper
control files and other policy basics before they can be put in
Debian. Others will of course have license issues. It's not hard to get
the basics of debian packaging under your belt and start contributing.
Read the debian new maintainers guide and see what you can do.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach