[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Feb 26 02:36:18 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 02:36 +0100, fons adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:22:49PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 21:40 +0100, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> >
> > > May I ask what use a private military contractor has for
> > > audiotools?
> > >

> > Most of the defence contractor types working on the -rt kernel seem to
> > be doing simulation stuff.  But I can think of a zillion other uses.
> > There are devices you can scatter around a position that talk to each
> > other and can detect intruders by sound and will tell you if the
> > perimeter is breached.  I would expect active noise suppression to be
> > popular with defence contractors.  Etc...
>
> One actual application is localisation of snipers. Using an array
> of microphones capturing the shockwave of a bullet that passes
> nearby, it's possible to work out where it came from. It's used
> by the US troops in Iraq.

    Another obvious example - sonar.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744