[linux-audio-user] Making alsa multi-clien

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Feb 26 15:49:51 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 21:02, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> > For example, if jackd is running, the device is "busy" (jackd itself is,
> > of course, multiclient). Is it possible to (OR) multiple outputs to an
> > alsa device? (MIDI can be done using virmidi.)
>
> Yes, the DMIX plugin. It looks like it it turned on by default for
> hardware that can't do the mixing itself in ALSA 1.0.9rc2 and later.
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin

Thanks. Looks interesting but I am not clear how to use it without oss,
alsaplayer, etc. I just want the hw:0 or other device to be multiclient. In
other words, I can start up kplayer and hydrogen/jack at the same time and
flip out :-). Mostly, something is eating the device but not necessarily
playing and I want something else to play without closing the first
something.

Do I use the number 5 or number 6 .soundrec? I am not playing anything through
oss (except Wine and I have not heard any audio coming out of that yet :-) ).
Does the plugin itself need be installed or is it in alsa (alsa sources with
kernel 2.6.15 or from Debian Sid)?