[linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 15:50:28 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 11:28, Maluvia wrote:

[...]

>Obviously, a totally new technology - not based on Crystal's - will be
> required to get out from under this cloud of restriction. Surely we
> can come up with something even better.
>To me the whole weakness and vulnerability of Open Software and
> Hardware arises from simply trying to RE technology then adapt it,
> rather than designing something completely new, then using Open
> Licensing schemes to keep the bullies from appropriating it for
> anticompetitive purposes and restricting consumer access to useful
> technologies.
>
>- Maluvia

Very well said indeed, but...  Just bring money, lots of it.  And expect
some of it to goto the legal profession for their attempts to
invalidate patents through prior art searches & presentations at the
USTPO.  And some more to goto defense of the patents we had damned well
generate from such work, I'm recalling all the sword rattling
Faunhoffer did over ogg until they realized they did indeed have a dead
horse in their barn.

We have some truely brilliant people silently working on it I presume,
people who also have to pay the rent & eat, so its not fulltime NOW.
Find them, and pay them to do the work fulltime, along with any
prototype chips they need built for proof of concept, and file the
patent even before the proto is built just to get its date carved in
stone.

The opensource people MUST do this to protect themselves from the
present situation vis-a-vis the various *peg's that have turned what
was supposed to be an open standard into a royalty nightmare with
enough suits from these 'submarine' patents that just getting a docket
date requires favorable estimates of the participants lifespans.

Only by playing this game on a level field is it winnable. Politics is
everywhere it seems, and we MUST learn how to play this game and win.
That unforch, requires cash for rent and groceries, lawyers and
prototypes.  How this is done is up to younger folks than me, but make
no mistake, it must be done if we don't want to be the also-ran's
forever.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: