[linux-audio-user] Quiet PC Components?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:05:57 EST 2006

On 2/26/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 16:20 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Boot from a floppy or CD which is then unused after the system is up
> > and running. Should be quite possible and 0db when you are up and
> > running.
> >
> > If I had other forms of noise under as much control as you do then I'd
> > use a 1394 drive for all my local hard drive requirements and place it
> > in another room or a closet using a longer 1394 cable. I'd personalyl
> > prefer that to any water cooled setup but to each his own.
> >
> > Maybe you can boot from a USB drive these days? Will BIOS on newer
> > systems allow that?
> >
> > I like my Mac Mini as I can boot it from an external 1394 drive..
>
> Boot from the network and record to an NFS mount.
>
> Lee

I actually tried the boot from the network idea for my MythTV frontend
only machines. Much easier said than done is what I would say today.
Not so easy for lowly musician types as it might be for more IT
literate folks. There is a lot of work to get the kernel on another
box and to make your local machine find it.

That said I wouldn't trust my network to so audio over a wireless
connection to an NFS drive. I'd still opt for the 1394/USB drive in a
box routine and just place it in a closet much like Jan did.

- Mark