[linux-audio-user] Midi questions

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 11:19:04 EST 2006

Chaz Worm wrote:

> I don't mean to start a flame or anything but I'm planning on
> purchasing a midi card to accompany my STAudio envy24 card.  I'm not
> too sure of its MIDI capabilities.
> I would like to purchase a cheap midi controller keyboard and a nice
> MIDI card that will enable me a plethora of high quality sounds and
> emulations.  Sequencer type stuff without the sequencer.
> Can this be done?

The SBLive card might be a good solution. It includes an on-board
hardware synthesizer (the EMU10k1) into which you'll load the soundfonts
of your choice. You'll need to get a MIDI adapter cable for the card for
your keyboard, then you can play the card's synth with the MIDI keyboard.

The Audigy systems are said to be good too but I haven't tried one yet.
Both the Live and Audigy are well-supported by ALSA.

Best,

dp