[linux-audio-user] [OT] Guitar amp

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Feb 27 17:32:58 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 04:51:30PM +0000, Michael T D Nelson wrote:

> It's clearly a replacement for a Line 6 POD Pro. No doubt about that.
>
> However, it comes in a rather stylish blue colour - better than that
> Line 6 red :o)
>
> Behringer have also improved on Line 6's device by cleverly surrounding
> each continuous rotary digital control with a ring of LEDs, allowing the
> user to see in which directon each knob is pointing as soon as a new
> preset is selected.

I might be a sucker.  I thought the the V-Amp Pro looked better from the
user interface perspective that the Line6 pods, not to mention that a
V-Amp Pro was cheaper than a Pod Xt (let alone the Pod Xt Pro).
However, I couldn't get my hands on a V-Amp Pro to try out, so I
chickened out and bought the Pod Xt since I loved playing with it at the
local music store.

It is very nice, but the knobs are somewhat irritating.  They aren't
continuous rotary encoders, and so if a knob is high and the parameter
is low, if you want to boost the level a little, you actually turn the
knob down since the knob position has no relationship to parameter
position until you start editing the parameter.  I thought that AES/EBU
output would be nice, but in the end I run the Pod Xt into USB on my
Mac, so I don't miss that feature so much. I do still think that rack
mount would have been nicer though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net