[linux-audio-user] Re: Digital Fidelity

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Feb 28 07:00:09 EST 2006

Maluvia wrote:

> Carlo said:
>
>>I have heard of people who could PHYSICALLY REPAIR CARS simply by
>>thinking about them. If you think that's hocus pocus, remember that the
>>'round earth theory' was considered hocus pocus by most only five
>>hundred years ago. Five hundred years! On an earth scale, that's not
>>even one acoustic sample. That's way below any D/A converter's noise
>>margin. We need to stay open about things.

I have found that I can start cars by chanting to the Hindu god Ram as I
turn the start key. Start off slowly and quickly increase the pace of
the chanting. Never fails.

>Yes indeed - the world would be a vastly improved place if more people
>could do this.

I disagree, people repairing cars by telekinesis is potentially very bad
for the environment.

>>So in my book, no, I do not believe that you are deluding yourself. Bob
>>Moog is said to have had EMOTIONAL CONNECTIONS with his synthesizers,
>>and as far as I am concerned, they sure sound genuine. Maybe that's just
>>the geek me, but I've seen people have really healthy relationships with
>>technology and other 'inanimates'. And maybe that's just the nerd me,
>>but I've seen some really unhealthy ways of people interacting with each
>>other. So I like to joke a lot about technology and people being
>>interchangable relationship-wise. It's a way of getting over a lot of pain
>>

>>I do not believe you are deluding yourself. I believe you are using your
>>yet unexplained physical properties to influence your environment that
>>could be observed by other people in the same situation also, but maybe
>>not by someone using the same brand but different device as you, or a
>>different person. But that's just a theory. It could be wrong.

Well, if Dr Emoto can change the structure of water crystals by simply
sticking emotive words onto the container, it makes it entirely possible
that one could change a sound simply by listening to it with a certain
intent. What is known is that we can certainly change our perceptions
with such mental intent. The effects of observation on subtle processes
is also a known factor. Being open-minded is a fine thing, but it has to
be tempered with sceptical discrimination. If you insist on engaging in
ungrounded speculation, expect to be shot down in flames by hard-headed
logicians.

cheers,

tim hall
/|\