[linux-audio-user] Problem possibly RT related?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Jan 1 15:48:20 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 12:18 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> On 1/1/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> > > rt2500
> >
> > I don't see this in the kernel source tree.
>
> You can get it at http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com as it isn't part of
> the mainline kernel but is a special driver for this PCMCIA card.  The
> module I posted about was a different one (the one I tested before was
> actually the rt2500 driver, the latest beta is supposed to be a catch
> all for any version of these chipsets), but I just tried this one too
> and it did the same thing to me so the problem is the same.
>
> I am upgrading to the latest and greatest version of everything to see
> if this helps.  I had other RT problems with this kernel anyway.
> Also, I apparently didn't set the trace options as those files didn't
> exist for me.  Big windstorm brewing too...might not get to finish
> today (power might go out).  I'll post more when I can.  Thanks for
> helping.

That driver looks like a piece of junk.  It's clearly a quick and dirty
port of Windows code (the comments refer to running in "DPC context" and
IRQ priority levels which do not exist on Linux).  And there seems to be
nothing stopping it from doing a LOT of work in (soft) IRQ context, like
decryption.

I don't understand why these developers would choose to develop their
driver outside the Linux kernel.  It obviously will need a LOT of work
to be mergeable.

Lee