[linux-audio-user] Re: M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 [SOLVED]

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Jan 6 20:59:38 EST 2006

On Fri,  6 Jan 2006 at 13:52 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:10 +0000, Markus Herhoffer wrote:
> > Thanks! I've got the missing files by eMail - and it works! For
> > documentation a short summary:
> >
> > 1) blacklist snd-usb-audio for hotplug
> > 2) get the firmware of the device from the usbmidi project (or from
> > somewhere else)
> > 3) get fxload
> > 4) use the following shell script to load the firmware
> >
> > #! /bin/bash
> > modprobe snd-usb-audio #if not already loaded at startup
> > cd /usr/share/usb/midisport
> > fxload -D /proc/bus/usb/*BUS*/*DEVICE* MidiSportLoader.ihx -I
> > MidiSport2x2.ihx
> > exit
> >
> > Substitute *BUS* and *DEVICE* with the numbers you get by running lsusb.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who helped me!
>
> Um, hold on, you should not have to blacklist snd-usb-audio to make this
> work.  Hotplug should load the firmware automatically.

Yes, and it was doing so very well for my midisport device also.

I think there's some confusion in this thread. Some of us are having a
hard time when upgrading to versions of udev that supersede hotplug
(i.e. there is no hotplug). I have solved that problem but it wasn't
easy. I offer to help anyone with the same hurdle, and to help fix the
usb-midi-fw.sf.net project too (see the existing bug report [1]).

Others seem to be having unrelated problems on hotplug systems and are
opting for the simpler shell script solution. When you get tired of
running the shell script by hand, come back and we'll help you get it
working with (udev|hotplug). But if you're happy with the ad-hoc
solution, and would rather just get on with making music, well I can't
argue with that. :)

1. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1353514&group_id=87777&atid=584353

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net