[linux-audio-user] recording jack input

Andrew Gaydenko a at gaydenko.com
Tue Jan 10 17:14:27 EST 2006

The timemachine's level meter doesn't show db values (or - is it so
for me only :-)). Is there stand-alone jack-enabled level-meter with
peak-measurement capabilities?

======= On Wednesday 11 January 2006 00:51, Nigel Henry wrote: =======
On Tuesday 10 January 2006 22:27, Garett Shulman wrote:
> Hello, perhaps this rediculous and non-sensical... I have an audio
> application outputing sound to the jack input client
> alsa_pcm:playback_1. This is a physical playback device on a soundcard.
> In addition to playing this back out of the sound card I would also like
> to record it to a wav file on the hard drive. Does anybody have any
> ideas for doing this. Perhaps a third jack client that has an input and
> an output and just writes anything from the input to the output. Then I
> could connect the audio application to the input and alsa_pcm:playback_1
> and a recording application to the output. I guess ecasound could do
> this pretty easily. Is this the best way to acomplish the goal? There
> isn't any sort of 'loopback' output for jack input clients is there?
> Thanks! -Garett

Hi Garett. Jack Time Machine will also record whats being played and save it
as a .wav to your /home/user directory if thats as much as you want.

If you decide to use it you will have to change the command on the desktop
link to application to:
/usr/bin/timemachine -f wav  , otherwise it saves it as a bit of an obscure
file format as default. Also there was no icon in Kmenu on Fedora. The icon
is in /usr/share/timemachine/pixmaps. Nigel.