[linux-audio-user] recording jack input

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 10 17:46:10 EST 2006

Florian Schmidt:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:27:08 -0700
> Garett Shulman <shulmang at colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hello, perhaps this rediculous and non-sensical... I have an audio
>> application outputing sound to the jack input client
>> alsa_pcm:playback_1. This is a physical playback device on a soundcard.
>> In addition to playing this back out of the sound card I would also like
>> to record it to a wav file on the hard drive. Does anybody have any
>> ideas for doing this. Perhaps a third jack client that has an input and
>> an output and just writes anything from the input to the output.
>
> timemachine
>
> just connect the apps output to the timemachine inputs AND the
> alsa_pcm:playback ports.

Hmpfh, well, as I have been trying to point out some times already,
timemachine is a program for capturing what you might have thought you
could use, while programs such as ardour, jackrec or jack_capture are
programs for capturing what are sure you want to use. timemachine is
great, but it doesn't seem to me like anyone understand its purpose(!)...
(timemachine captures x time of sound before pressing record, a great
idea, but its for a little bit different purpose than this).

So, to my point, which (of course) was mostly to promote my own program:
Use jack_capture, http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src . It does exactly what
you want, and as simple as possible.