[linux-audio-user] re: midi problems

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Wed Jan 11 12:42:42 EST 2006

>>>>> "NH" == Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> writes:

(Taking this back on the list, since I have a new error message to
report.)

    NH> Hi Laura. Ok. Here goes a bit of a shot in the dark. There a
    NH> couple of items in your lsmod which I think should be on the
    NH> hotplug blacklist. One is emu10k1_gp, which appears to an oss
    NH> module for a gameport. The other is, via82cxxx which is the
    NH> oss driver for your onboard soundcard. I too have this one in
    NH> my lsmod, (it appears my onboard soundcard is the same as
    NH> yours on my I-Friend machine) but as I have my onboard card
    NH> disabled with the jumpers it doesn't appear to be causing any
    NH> conflicts, and I don't have a snd-via82cxxx showing in lsmod
    NH> which sort of verifies that.

    NH> I have no idea if this is going to work, but it's worth a try. Reboot the
    NH> machine so that hotplug will not load the 2 added modules to the blacklist,
    NH> and try again, making sure that snd-emu10k1-synth, and the soundfont is
    NH> loaded. All the best.

It turns out that adding the oss modules to the blacklist isn't
enough; you also have to take them out of /etc/modules and
/etc/modules<kernel version information>.  But I am now booting with
no oss modules that I know about, including not the ones you mention.

A nice side effect of all the reboots that it took to figure that out
is that sound now comes up configured and enabled without my runing
alsaconf and stuff.

However, I still don't have MIDI.

The only sound-related error message I see when I boot up is:

root at serpent:/var/log# grep snd_seq syslog
Jan 11 12:08:23 serpent modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_seq_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-686/kernel/sound/core/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.ko): Device or resource busy

This suggests to me that the modutils files written by something or
other (certainly not me) are confused about what order to load things
in.

My (clearly not educated enough) guess would be that snd-seq-oss
would have something to do with the oss emulation, which wouldn't be
what aplaymidi would be using to play MIDI files, but of course, if
my system is confused about this, who knows what else it might be
confused about?

So does anyone want to explain what this error message means, or make
a new guess about why my system doesn't play MIDI files?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011