[linux-audio-user] Next question re midi

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 21:47:25 EST 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 21:08, M P Smoak wrote:
>On Thursday 12 January 2006 20:36, Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:32 -0500, M P Smoak wrote:
>> > On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:11, Lee Revell wrote:
>
>      <snip>

>> > Speaking of aplaymidi, how do I pause a playback
>>
>> Ctrl-Z
>
>How do I restart it?
>
>> > , back it up
>>
>> You can't do that
>
>I guess I can't forward either?
>
>> >  or
>> > just stop it
>>
>> Ctrl-C
>
>Elegant in it's simplicity.
>
>> > , once it's playing.  man aplaymidi tells me nothing.
>>
>> You need to get a sequencer if you want full featured MIDI
>> playback, aplaymidi is just a simple utility, a toy basically.
>>
>> Lee
>
>You mean to say that to play back a midi filed with pause, back
>up or forward, I need to use a sequencer?
>
>You're saying that there is no midi player in linux that allows
>the simple controls of a tape player?
>
>I'm running rh9/planet ccrma, I can't find a player there. I
>figured that's because I'm a slowhead. Is there none?
>
>Is there a midi file player for the 2.6 kernal, fc?? kernel?
>
>If there's nothing, I'm starting to think linux is real weak
>on midi playback.

If you have kde installed, take a look at kmid.

>By the way, could you comment on my recent question on tuning
>a midi keyboard?

Its probably more accurate than the piano tuners tuning forks if its had
any fine tuning done reset back to no corrections.  The crystals used
as the reference generators are typically better than .001% accurate
and you can tune the piano/whatever to the keyboard with good
confidence that you are at least as correct as the tuning fork the
piano tuner used to use.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: