[linux-audio-user] Apology

M P Smoak smoak at MIS.NET
Thu Jan 12 23:34:05 EST 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 23:16, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 23:09 -0500, M P Smoak wrote:
> > I usually don't say much 'round here.  Tonight I said a bit.
> > Maybe too much.  Well, like Leon said, "the firewaters not
> > the villain".  We got a group together here right now that
> > cooking.  Playin' the realbook. and folk composing. and me
> > recording. and me not able to get any of it for you folks
> > to hear cause of 'copyright concerns'.
> >
> > and last weekend, Joe brought in a tape.  an out of tune
> > tape.  sounded real good and we worked on it. but I ditched
> > the keyboard and went to alto sax. it's easy to tune; kb
> > is impossible now.  (kb pitchbend has a spring; i'm not
> > ripping into the kb to take it out (but I'm tempted0)).
> >
> > And that reminds me of using aplaymidi and ctrl-whatever
> > to play midi file.  And how I really like linux but how
> > could I reccomend it to one of the folks I play with.
> >
> > I've probably said too much, so i continue with this
> > apology.
>
> Sorry, I think I just misunderstood.
>
> aplaymidi is really just for testing, it's not meant for
> serious use.
>
> For regular MIDI playback, like Gene said, kmid is probably
> the best option.
>
> As for the tuning slider, you are saying you want to be able
> to tune the SBLive's synth?  That's not supported
> unfortunately.
>
> Lee

Lee, please forgive me, but it must be somehow.  I can use the
pitchbend weel and get it in tune.  So the kb doen't have a
tuning slider; can't linux give me a slider?  I mean it's a
(sblive) midi synth that understands midi pitch shift .  I
don't really understand midi, but I think I know that pitch
shift ain't missing.

Again thanks (and I do think this must be of interest to others)
Marv