[linux-audio-user] Cutting background noise from a voice recordering? actually

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Sat Jan 14 16:34:39 EST 2006

On 14 January 2006 at 12:08, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/14/06, Dan Stromberg <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:
> > I have a new question though, about cutting background noise from a
> > recording.
[snip]
> > Which brings me back to my current question: What sort of linux software
> > might be good for eliminating the noise from a loud air duct and/or
> > projector fan from a voice recording?

> Gnome-wave-cleaner + an expander.

I concur.  You might also use a gate.  You'll have to play with the
threshold on the expander & gate to optimize your results.  You could
do something like this with dedicated hardware during the talk to
minimize the amount of background noise picked up by the mic and
coming through the PA.  Hmm, maybe you're recording the talk from
your vantage point, and the presenter doesn't use a mic?

I'm not sure how much money you want to put into cutting the noise in
your building.  But, there are sound engineering companies that
design rooms & buildings to minimize this kind of problem.  They also
can do some retrofitting.  A friend of mine in Oregon (USA) does this
for a living.

G'luck....

--
Kevin