[linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Jan 15 11:19:12 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 10:27 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 15 January 2006 09:31, Jan Depner wrote:
> >Mark, et al,
> >
> >    Many thanks for all the feedback (mostly positive).  To paraphrase
> > a familiar quote - with many ears all mixes are easy ;-)  I forgot to
> > mention that I used LADSPA effects (not counting the electric guitar
> > which is through a V-AMP Pro) other than running the final master mix
> > through a BBE sonic maximizer.  I have taken most everyone's advice
> > and lifted the vocals (dropped some processing too).  Also, a tip of
> > the hat to Dave Phillips for introducing me to the Versatile Plate
> > Reverb.
> >
> >    The new version is in the same place -
> >
> >http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/katrina.mp3
> >
> That addressed all my concerns, great stuff.  Thank you for the effort,
> and please do some more.
>

> >    It's mostly the guitar - hand made Jose Morales classical, Spanish
> >cedar top, bookmatched rosewood back and sides, hand made rosette, all
> >wood binding.  It's a beautiful instrument.  I picked it up in Granada
> >Spain at Jose Morales' shop in 1978 for $150 (with case ;-)  I've
> > played it next to $3000+ Ramirez guitars and it blows them away.  I
> > used a cheap Marshall 603 condenser mic about a foot away from where
> > the fingerboard meets the body and a cheap Marshall 2001 about 3 feet
> > away and more towards the bridge.  I used a little Gverb on both
> > sides and some Tape Delay Simulation on the 603.
>
> I have a friend who made his guitar in high school shop, a solid body
> electric of course.  Autographed by Johnny Johnson many years ago.  Its
> a pretty fair sounding piece of maple, but no comparison to the clarity
> of your instrument.  To paraphrase a nearly 80 year old acoustic bass
> player brother-in-law of mine, that guitar is 'tasty stuff'.

    I also used to make guitars but I turned my garage/shop into a
studio.  Take a look at

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/two_guitars.jpg

The guitar on the left is the first one I made (about 1989).  The one on
the right is the one I used for the electric guitar on this recording.

> He (the friend) and about 3 others, another guitar player, a father &
> teen aged son trade places on an axe, & a drummer whom I've never
> figured out why he isn't doing it professionally, he's that good.  They
> get together to jam on friday nights, but even on their best night,
> theres no comparison to this.  Thanks.  This one is a definite keeper.

    Many thanks.

> But why an mp3, why not a q7 (or higher) ogg?

    I made an ogg but a lot of Windoze people have trouble with that
format (even though Winamp and Audacity handle it).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744