[linux-audio-user] ogg for Windows made really easy

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Jan 15 14:48:31 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 14:22 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 19:08 +0000, guy wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have read several comments about ogg format & Windoze & want to
> > highlight what seems a very well kept secret.  There is a brilliant &
> > tiny (592kb!) open source media player for Windoze called coolplayer.
> > It runs straight from the binary
> > without need for installation.  If you want to stick to an open music
> > format it is very easy for anyone to obtain. The bottom line is folks,
> > anyone can easily & freely have a means of playing ogg files on a
> > windoze box.
> >
> > The url is http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/ & the zip file download is
> > only 318kb.
> >
> > Hope you do not feel this is OT as it concerns sharing music in an open
> > format.
>
> Personally I think it's a losing battle to ask Windows users to use
> anything but WMP.  Like it or not MP3 is the standard.  We need to make
> MP3 "Just Work" on Linux.
>
> MP3 is not a "closed format" it just has some patent issues (which may
> not be issues at all).
>
> I find it amusing that so many people who won't use MP3 due to its
> "encumbrance" will happily run the proprietary Nvidia driver...

    I don't have any problem using mp3 (as demonstrated) but ogg is
superior in reproducing the sound of the original.  If it weren't for
exactly what you pointed out I would much prefer using ogg.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744