[linux-audio-user] ogg for Windows made really easy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 22:10:53 EST 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 20:31, Jan Depner wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 16:34 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

>> >     We've been through this before.  If all you have to worry
>> > about is mpeg2 playback you should be able to get by with the nv
>> > driver.  I have extreme 3D requirements (not games) and there is
>> > not a comparable driver of any type for any other card.
>>
>> Yeah sorry I did not want to restart that flame war, I was just
>> trying to illustrate a point...
>
>    No need to apologize.  I certainly favor your view on this.  I
> just wish there were some way to get a really good, accelerated, open
> 3D driver for some video card.

So do we all, Jan.  In fact, the suits at ati funded an open source
driver for their better card, what 3 years ago?  Presumably to impress
us FOSS frogs I think.  It might have been nice, but AIR by the time
the driver was released, the card on the dealers shelves had a new,
totally incompatible chipset on it.  A classic case of the boardroom
not knowing, or careing about, what engineering/production was doing as
long as sales were steady.  And this was done without changing a single
character in the artwork of the box.  I even went out and bought the
supposedly correct driver from some x outfit, but it also wouldn't even
see the card.  I tried to get a refund but their defense was that I
still had a copy of the driver, so the charge on my card stood.  At
that point I returned the card to the vendor I'd bought it from and
made no attempt to hide the smoke pouring liberally from both ears when
I did so.  A lot of yelling about false advertising at the time.

But when the nvidia card I'd bought to replace that ati died a year
later and wiped a mobo doing it, I was so upset with nvidia that
another ati seemed like the lessor of 2 evils.  And so far, it has
been.  That knocking sound in the background?  Me, knocking on wood...

And now there is an nvidia card in the rebuilt box out in the shop thats
running my milling machine.  Damned if I do, and damned if I don't I
guess.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: