[linux-audio-user] questions regarding SBLive multichannel use

Rick Wright riwright at vt.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:29:00 EST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 11:56 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>>Greetings:
>>
>>  This question is directed to Lee Revell and anyone who is using or has
>>tried to use the multichannel capability for the ALSA SBLive module.
>>
>>  When I select multichannel duplex operation in QJackCtl I get 16
>>channels for input and two channels for output. Is that the default I/O
>>channel arrangement ?
>>

>You should get 16 in and 16 out.  You have to individually select the
>multichannel devices for input (hw:x,2) and output (hw:x,3).

What Lee said.

I am using the EMU10K1 driver on both an Audigy2 EX and ZS models.
These cards both have 6 analog inputs (3 stereo lines) and the EX is 6.1
out (7 analog outputs) and the ZS is 7.1 out (8 analog outputs).  I have
worked out the mapping from the pcm_capture and pcm_playback ports to
the physical analog inputs and outputs which I will share if you are
interested.

The only problem I found is that the alsa-mixer volume control sliders
are left-right switched for all of the stereo output pairs.  I mean, if
you plug a standard 1/8" stereo-to-RCA cable into the stereo output on
the card, the appropriate left slider controls the signal on the red RCA
plug - which is typically the right channel - and vice versa.  This is
true for all stereo output pairs.

I reported this bug to the ALSA bugtracker about a year ago
(https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=904), but the
behavior persists....

Rick