[linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Jan 16 19:00:54 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:54 +1100, Conrad Parker wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:33:39PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> >
> >     Speaking of which, how could I mark the song as licensed under
> > Creative Commons non-commercial/attribution license.  I have no idea how
> > to place that in the id3 tag or anywhere else.
>
> Creative Commons have the basic info about this here:
>
>   http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3
>
> Some tools for manipulating ID3 tags are listed on freshmeat:
>
>   http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=id3
>
> For oggs:
>
>   http://creativecommons.org/technology/ogg
>
> A bit more detail:
>
>   http://blog.kfish.org/creativecommons/ogg-tagging.html
>
> cheers,
>
> Conrad.

Conrad,

    All good stuff.  Unfortunately, 1) the Creative Commons page wants
me to set up a license verification page on my web site (a transient
place at best), 2) ccLookup and Publisher listed on the Creative Commons
page are not available for Linux, 3) I can get none of the mp3 tools on
freshmeat to build (all have compiler errors, most don't have configure,
make, make install builds), 4) using the available command line id3v2 I
still have only 30 characters for a comment (which is why it has (c)
2005 Jan and Jenn Depner instead of Copyright (c) 2005 Jan and Jennifer
Depner).  So, my questions come down to a couple of simple ones.  Is
there some way to get xmms or id3v2 to place a huge comment in the id3
tag?  Can I just put a link in that comment to the Creative Commons page
for the proper license (and, if so, what guarantee is there that that
page will remain in place)?

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744