[linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Jan 16 20:55:35 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 19:43 -0600, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Jan Depner wrote:

> >>Creative Commons have the basic info about this here:
> >>
> >>  http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3
> >>
> >>Some tools for manipulating ID3 tags are listed on freshmeat:
> >>
> >>  http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=id3
> >>
> >>For oggs:
> >>
> >>  http://creativecommons.org/technology/ogg
> >>
> >>A bit more detail:
> >>
> >>  http://blog.kfish.org/creativecommons/ogg-tagging.html
> >>
> >>cheers,
> >>
> >>Conrad.
> >>

> >    Ah ha!  I finally got it.  In order to label it this way I had to
> >force the use of id3v2 for mp3 (it's much easier in ogg).  Since I'm
> >using lame to encode I had to use the id3v2 options.  I have replaced
> >the file with one that is labeled (hopefully) correctly.  All this legal
> >stuff is really strange - all I wanted to do was post a song ;-)  Oh
> >well, you live and learn.  BTW, even though I couldn't use the stuff on
> >the above pages, the links were invaluable.  Thanks Conrad.
> >

> I like the line "All I wanted to do was post a song!" :)  Sad in this
> world of less than original people that one has to protect themsleves at
> the cost of sharing something good and fun in the simplest way available
> today!
>
> BTW, just checked your Website.....As a young inspired guitfiddler in
> Australia, playing in a country rock band (my first band) and beleive
> me, there was no such thing as "Country rock" (Amazing Rythym Aces and
> Pure Prarie Legue somewhat lost on our audiences) as such then in Aus,
> we covered a tune by Rodney Crowell called "Stars on the Water"...a
> simple but catchy little tune (I still play it today)...and I remembered
> thinking...who the heck plays that solo...it seemed relatively easy to
> play. That is untill I tried to pick up all those little inflections and
> the super clear voicing of bending notes. I looked at the back of the
> album to see and behold, Mr. Albert Lee!  An English Country picker no
> less!!! :)  I then watched one of those Videos he had showing how to
> play on that beat up ol' tele he has with a million signatures on it.
> That RH finger style coupled with a pick had me just baffled back then.
> I use it in a round about way today.  He is truly one of my guitfiddler
> gods! :)

    Damn!  I used to play that one too.   I had no idea that was him on
that song.  We used to play that song because it's about here (the Gulf
Coast, I'm only about 15 miles west of Biloxi).  I actually only have
one instructional video - Albert Lee's.  I just had to buy it.  Not
because I ever thought I could play like that but just to watch.  The
guy is amazing.  The funny thing is, I bought the video about ten years
before I met him.  He's one hell of a nice guy.  The first guitar I
built now has Albert's signature on it ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744