[linux-audio-user] Re: x86_64 and ingo's realtime patches, works?

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:45:17 EST 2006

Lee:

At the moment, the madwifi-ng drivers compiled for this machine oops
out. It's not RT's fault - in fact the 2.6.15 non-rt kernel just hangs
completely a few seconds into accessing the madwifi card. The machine
survives a bit longer and prints out a reasonable error message when
compiled for RT and CONFIG_DEBUG_DEADLOCKS. I have some hope now that
the mutex code is in 2.6.16 that it will get easier to track down the
problem with madwifi.

I will try tracking down the latency issue as per your previous
mail...after I convince this box to crash somehow...

I tried to accenuate the positive in the last email (I am impressed as
hell), I didn't mention that madwifi issue nor that the default X
driver for this machine is pretty weak (and the proprietary ATI driver
hasn't worked with RT in a long time - though I haven't tried it since
.13)... those ain't issues to solve in this forum.

But, while I was on the mplayer problem, I did make the RTC (IRQ 8)
and DVD's (IRQ 15) IRQ be realtime, and the frame looping problem went
away, the frame rate went up, and cpu usage pegged at 100% with it and
rosegarden/linuxsampler running. I noticed a little bit of timing
issue (purely subjective) with rosegarden, but not much. Without
anything else running but mplayer, cpu use is at 85%. (The default
X.org driver for this card is pretty sad! and this mplayer doesn't
have things like SSE enabled for x86_64)

... and the system is still running. Jeeze, is there anything else I
can throw at this to make if fall over and die? :) I'm going to leave
rosegarden and mplayer looping overnight.

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge