[linux-audio-user] Soundfont players

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Thu Jan 19 04:38:20 EST 2006

Ruben Lopez wrote:
> I've been tinkering with Linux for a few years and I just decided to
> jump in and set up Ardour. I have it working and am still figuring
> things out, but I have a question - what Linux apps do you guys use to
> play soundfonts (the only app I could find is FluidSynth, which I
> haven't tried yet).

I use fluidsynth, controlled by Rosegarden.

I would be interested to know of a recommendation for a more lightweight
MIDI sequencer - perhaps one that I will be able to syncronise with Ardour?

The only problem I have with using fluidsynth is that the better
soundfonts tend to use a lot of memory - but I don't think that is the
fault of the software, just the nature of the problem.

Another useful program is qsynth, which provides a graphical  interface
to fluidsynth. They are both included in PlanetCCRMA's packages.

Regards
Michael