[linux-audio-user] Soundfont players

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 07:27:02 EST 2006

Ruben Lopez wrote:

> I've been tinkering with Linux for a few years and I just decided to
> jump in and set up Ardour. I have it working and am still figuring
> things out, but I have a question - what Linux apps do you guys use to
> play soundfonts (the only app I could find is FluidSynth, which I
> haven't tried yet).

I use fluidsynth via the QSynth GUI. I also use TiMidity configured as a
soundfont server:

    timidity -iA -B2,8 -c /home/dlphilp/timidity.cfg -Os -EFreverb=0
-Efchorus=0 &

-iA Sets up the program to act as an ALSA sequencer client. In this case
it acts as a softsynth available to any program connected to it via the
ALSA aconnect utility or one of its GUIs.
-B2,8 Sets the audio buffer fragment size
-Os Indicates WAV-format output
-EFreverb=0 Turns off the reverb effect (saves CPU cycles)
-EFchorus=0 Turns off the chorus effect

My timidity.cfg file includes only one line:

    soundfont /home/dlphilp/soundfonts/8mbgmsfx.sf2

QSynth is easier to use, but TiMidity runs nicer in a light-weight
system like my aging laptop.

> Also, I notice that this is a pretty technical list. If my question is
> too elementary for this list, please point me to a list that is more
> appropriate. Thanks.

You've come to the right place. Please don't hesitate to say if a
response is too technical. Not all of us here have propellors growing
out of our heads, but some do. ;-)

Best regards,

Dave Phillips