[linux-audio-user] mixing / mastering [was: Homemade music]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Jan 20 13:21:20 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 12:02 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:42:30AM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > A piece of advice that I've seen repeated many times by experts is to
> > listen on many different types of audio gear while you're
> > mixing/mastering.

> Another great tip is the "hallway trick":
> Leave the mixing room and listen a bit from out in the hall,
> or in the next room, or whatever your building's layout allows...

Absolutely.

It seems like there's some similarity between these methods: instead of
listening through near-perfect audio chains (studio monitors), force the
sound to go through less-than-perfect media.
A building's inner structure placed between your ear and the monitors is
full of resonators, filters, chicanes, etc., a little bit like a lo-fi
audio chain.
If the character of the song survives through these distorting media,
then it must possess coherence and balance.

It is surprising how many indie songs fail these tests. I guess this
shows the importance of the contribution of a good sound engineer to the
overall result.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/