[linux-audio-user] rosegarden dssi problem

Emanuel Rumpf x at branwelt.de
Sat Jan 21 04:57:10 EST 2006

This mail accidently went as personal mail, so here it is again sent to the list.

Chris Cannam wrote:

>>Last updated when?

The version I'm talking about is 1.2_cvs 3.4.3
The binary date:

>>Does this affect all DSSI plugins, or only certain ones?

All plugins are affected.

>>There have been problems in the past with state being incompletely
>>restored for some particular plugins -- Xsynth was the most obvious
>>example -- so that they when reloaded would either play silently or
>>with some barely-audible clicks or other pathological configuration.
>>This should be fixed in current CVS, as of about a week ago.

>>We're just building up to another release, so reports on problems in CVS
>>are welcome just now.

>>The default studio doesn't have any synth plugins in it... I'm puzzled
>>as to what you mean there.

Right it doesn't have any synth plugins by default, but I saved another
project with dssi-synth-plugins as
default-studio. (Menu: Composition/Studio/Save current project as default)

If rosegarden is started, there's the default-studio loaded first. This
plays the plugins.
But if I open other projects with synth-plugins, they are all quit then.

Also there was a situation, when the select dialog-window for the
synth-plugin got confused:
There was a synth-plugin selected, but the synth-instrument-list showed
the patches for the previously selected fluid-dssi.

Other errors I get, if I try to save synth-instruments (patches):
"
WhySynth: load error: no patches recognized in patch file
'/home/admin/.whysynth/WhySynth_patches-_plugin_dssi_10007_synth_WhySynth'
"
"
Xsynth: patch configuration failed: corrupt data
"

I will try a more recent cvs-snapshot soon.

Some other things I would enjoy to see:
(just my thoughts and suggestion)

- In the track-editor it is possible to duplicate segments by holding
<strg>+drag. This should be possible in the matrix editor as well for
note-events (for consequency), but doesn't.

- The matrix editor is nice for note input and editing, but I sometimes
accidently put notes. This requires me to select the eraser-tool and
back to the draw-tool. What about introducing some trick?:
Double-clicking the note on the (very) left side, to erase it. This
behaviour would also be very usefull in the drum-editor.
At the moment the event-property-dialog appears on double-click: move it
to the right-mbutton-menu instead. Reason: It will be much less used,
than the eraser tool (I assume).

- matrix-editor: The draw and resize-tools should allow events to be
resized by click-dragging them on the right side because moving and
resizing is often done mutual.

- I've seen a "brush" tool in some sequencers, allowing many notes to be
drawn by clicking and draging, with the note-position specified by the
grid and note-lenght by quantisation. This is also usfull for drum
(hihat) editing.

- taste but: The mouse jumps to the note-event-start on mouse-click with
move/select-tool. I would prefere it to keep the position relative to
the event.

- in the german version, "velocity" is bad translated. In this case
velocity is not "Geschwindigkeit".
"velocity" is "Anschlagstärke" here and
"adjust (event-)velocities" is "Anschlagstärke (der Töne) setzen"

- The accordname-ruler in the matrix editor doesn't view anyting.

- symbols for the main-toolbar for metronome on/off , solo on/off
- make the transport (re-)disappear by repressing the T-key.

- there's already the nice command 'Join overlapping notes with equal
pitches'. This could be extended by the command: 'Shorten preceeding
overlapping note, so that it ends 1/64 before the following (equal
pitched) note.' (legato)

- Velocity Property Ruler: allow 'free-draw properties' . Bring
velocities of selected notes to front.
'Draw property line' now affects all events. Maybe affecting selected
events only would be more powerfull.

- The project (and propably tracks) could have a small notepad for
notices. (I would use it for some
hints, how to continue editing, reminding me to make coffee etc.)

Thanks for all efforts and this versatile program
Emanuel