[linux-audio-user] WINE + audio experiences ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sat Jan 21 06:54:05 EST 2006

Greetings:

 I'm working on a new article for the Linux Journal, it's focused on
using system emulators for running sound and music applications. I'm
reviewing recent releases of DOSemu 1.3.3, Xsteem, and the new WINE
0.9.6 beta.

 I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the results with WINE.
AudioMulch runs nicely, as does Buzz, and I was even able to load and
run the latest demo of Band In A Box. However, the Finale demo wouldn't
install and NI's FM7 ran but produced no sound.

 I'll probably use those three working apps for my profile, but are
there any other sound applications that users commonly run under WINE ?
Anything I should take a look at in addition to what I've already
selected ?

 Btw, in case anyone ever thinks development of Linux audio resources is
too slow, consider that WINE spent the last 12 years in alpha stage. It
went to the beta devel stage just last year. Maybe in another six or
seven years we'll see WINE 1.0rc1. :)

Best,

dp