[linux-audio-user] WINE + audio experiences ?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sat Jan 21 17:03:35 EST 2006

Mark Knecht wrote:

>Hi Dave,
>   NI's Battery runs fine for me under Wine from CVS. I *think* Geoff
>Beasley uses Kontakt under some version of Wine, but it may be the
>older 20040505//fst sort of solution. I'm not sure. This last 2 weeks
>we've been working on trying to get Reaktor to run under CVS Wine. For
>most of us it won't install or won't even start.
>
>   As for audio the Jack driver in Wine CVS isn't working at all so I
>have to use non-realtime drivers (OSS, Alsa) and suffer with higher
>latencies.
>
>   Sometimes I also run older versions of Acid Pro under Wine. Newer
>versions (4.0, 5.0) don't run the last time I checked. (I should check
>again...)
>
>   Truth in advertizing - mostly I'm sticking with Windows for Windows
>audio programs. I do run iTunes and Quicken under Wine from CXO
>though.
>
>Cheers,
>Mark
>
>On 1/21/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Greetings:
>>
>> I'm working on a new article for the Linux Journal, it's focused on
>>using system emulators for running sound and music applications. I'm
>>reviewing recent releases of DOSemu 1.3.3, Xsteem, and the new WINE
>>0.9.6 beta.
>>
>> I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the results with WINE.
>>AudioMulch runs nicely, as does Buzz, and I was even able to load and
>>run the latest demo of Band In A Box. However, the Finale demo wouldn't
>>install and NI's FM7 ran but produced no sound.
>>
>> I'll probably use those three working apps for my profile, but are
>>there any other sound applications that users commonly run under WINE ?
>>Anything I should take a look at in addition to what I've already
>>selected ?
>>
>> Btw, in case anyone ever thinks development of Linux audio resources is
>>too slow, consider that WINE spent the last 12 years in alpha stage. It
>>went to the beta devel stage just last year. Maybe in another six or
>>seven years we'll see WINE 1.0rc1. :)
>>
>>Best,
>>
>>dp

Slightly off topic but in conflict to Marks experience with "Jack: audio
driver under wine...

Thac has recently repackaged Wine 9.5 for PclinuxOS.  I have been
messing with "VSThost" from the "savihost" site. VST host laods and even
loads my more intensive VST's such as HyperCanvas in a fullt functional
manner. AND...with new this new WIne package, the JACK audio driver does
work and is patchable in Qjackctl. No "jack midi" but VST host and it's
loaded vst's can be talked to via ALSA midi "thru" port if ALSA and JACK
audio are mutully selected in Wine config. I'm useing the WineTools app
to do that.

So far all seems to work ok! :) Only issue is that VSTHost running
directly in Wine is sucking the resources up and running CPU at 99%. If
not for this, I would view this as a VERY useful new funtionality to my
audio toys! :)

Cheers,
R~