[linux-audio-user] portable digital audio recording

S. Massy smassy at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Jan 22 19:28:44 EST 2006

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 09:11:52PM -0800, reuben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the proud owner of a pretty decently specced new shotgun mic; now I
> just need somewhere to store the recordings while out & about. What's
> the best option here? Minidisc? DAT? Flash?
>
> Here are the needs;
>
> a) The mic has XLR-m out, so I'm going to need one cable, no adapters,
> from the mic to whatever device.
> b) Ideally < $200.
> c) Digital transfer to my computer; I have firewire and USB as options.
> There should hopefully be a pretty painless setup getting this
> (drivers/whatever) configured in linux.
> d) Ability to store at least 2 hours of audio. I will have a laptop in
> the vicinity (which I do not want to use as the recording device) so I
> can always upload and wipe if need be. I.e. I think don't need much more
> that 1GB.
> e) Ability to monitor the recording via headphones.
> f) Reasonably sensitive recording levels adjustment on the device.
>
> Any advice?
Well, I use the Iriver IFP899 coupled with a little preamp and it works
quite well for me. The drawbacks are that you have a maximum sampling
rate of 44.1khz and, sadly, you have no choice but to encode your signal
to mp3 (although at 320kbps the quality is pretty good). This probably
isn't going to offer you the highest quality in the world (I don't know
what you want to apply your setup to), but it certainly is the cheapest and most portable solution.
S.M.

smassy at sdf.lonestar.org