[linux-audio-user] rosegarden-4-1.0: can't seem to get any MIDI out ...

Sylvain Robitaille lau at therockgarden.ca
Tue Jan 24 11:25:54 EST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> In Rosegarden open the dialog in composition->studio->manage MIDI
> devices and check if your midi device is listed into 'Play devices'.

Listed and selected as the "MIDI output system device".

> Then, in the main sequencer editor, right click on the channel you
> want to play and select that device.

Done.  All tracks unmuted (just to be sure);  no output from MIDI jack.

I use an LED soldered to a DIN-5 socket as a tester, and aplaymidi
produces the expected type of LED blinking if I use it to "play" a
MIDI file.  This confirms to me (I believe) that both the hardware and
the OS level support are functioning properly.  If there's something
else I can do to provide additional confirmation whether that's true,
I hope someone will suggest it.

> Hope this helps,

I'm seriously wondering about the fact that Rosegarden does not show up in
JACK's MIDI "readable clients / output ports" list, and would appreciate
confirmation of whether I should be expecting to see it listed there.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Major in Electroacoustic Studies                  Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department       Montreal, Quebec, Canada