[linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:12:12 EST 2006

On 1/27/06, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 06:28 +0000, cdr wrote:
>
> > the emerging hi-def standard for non legacy-media platforms is Intel HD
> Audio (the successor to AC'97) and its format is: up to eight channels at
> 192 kHz/32-bit quality
>
> Wow, 32bit is way overkill for storage.
> I can see why sound processing apps would use 32bit internally for
> processing, but for storage... I dunno. Maybe I'm too conservative.
>
> Well, it's only a 33% increase in storage demands over 24bit, and 32
> might be more convenient for computers.

Actually in the case ardour/jack et al 24 bit is more convenient,
since instead of 24 bit signed linear format, we use 32 bit floats,
which have just enough dynamic range to fit 24 bits. 32 bit floating
point is much more convenient than any fixed point format...

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge