[linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Sat Jan 28 08:11:50 EST 2006

fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be>:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 01:30:54AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:

> > One big reason for going up to 96kHz is not primarily
> > because of being able to sample high frequencies, but
> > because you don't need such a sharp filter at the input
> > that may taint your input signal.
>
> Again very true. The main reason why some people can hear a
> very very subtle difference between 48 and 96 kHz seems to
> be that it's quite difficult to make a 'perfect' filter for
> 48 kHz, even digitally. There are very few DACs that get
> this right (e.g. Apogee, and you pay for it).

Ok, filter quality. Esben, Fons, on another aspect of
samplerates higher than 48k: Is it possible that what is
audible from an orchestra for example stems in part from
interference or intermodulation of harmonics from above the
audible band? Relevant for the reproduction had the
performance been recorded to discrete channels?

I don't know how to phrase my question better. Gene said Yes
to that if there was "something non-linear in the mixing
process". I didn't understand that though.

Wolfgang