[linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Jan 29 18:24:13 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 09:10:09PM +0100, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

> Now given the non-linearities others and you (below) describe
> and given this is about mixing discrete signals (not a
> summing recording of the audible range) and given there are
> instruments that emit frequencies or produce harmonics well
> above the audible range (violins, Brian Wilson 40 years ago)
> it makes sense to record it, doesn't it? With higher
> samplerates?

No, because those non-linear effects shouldn't be there in
the first place. If you reproduce the wider bandwidth recording
over 'perfect' speakers, the intermodulation products will not
be there and the original signals above 20 kHz will not be heard.
The result should be the same as a recording limited to 20 khz.
It makes IMHO no sense to require a wider bandwidth just to
exploit a deficiency of the reproduction system. If the
distorted version sounds better, the distortion should just
be added in the mix.

> btw: I couldn't find the command line switch to give jaaa
> instances a jack-name in order to run more than 1, it doesn't
> seem to show up in jaaa -h?

-name should do it. I'm not 100% sure it's in the current
release but I think it is (the version I use here has evolved
a lot - new release expected before LAC2006).

--
FA