[linux-audio-user] RE: 2.6.15 alsa problem

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Tue Jan 31 14:05:32 EST 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 20:28, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> >Also a problem in 2.6.14. I am not using udev or devfs but have
> > explicitely created /dev nodes (old fashioned way and far far too many
> > entries, but ... always worked before).
> >
> >Newer kernels boot with many undefines. They seem to correspond to stuff
> > in the sound core modules. Do I now need to explicitely load these or
> > soundcore.ko on boot up (i.e. placing them in /etc/modules--somewhere
> > along the line, snd_seq_midi had to be placed there!). Anybody doing
> > this? (Guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.)
> >
> >Easy enough -- didn't work. It is as if these modules are not exporting
> > their symbols correctly.
>
> Made a kernel with alsa sound support compiled in! I also compiled in the
> "generic" devices. Result: NO UNDEFINED. My three (a set ncards = 3) became
> dummy, virmidi and the ensonic. The ensonic did not play, however, but the
> alsa restore on bootup failed because of the 1st two. Kmixer settings are
> restored but have no effect.
>
> So I am trying to build it with just the alsa core compiled in and
> hopefully the three cards will be the mpu401, usb-audio and ensonic loaded
> as modules as before. Wish this did not take so long to try out :-

Was not so bad. No more undefines and get my UM1 usb and the ens1371 just
fine. snd=mu401 does not load with same error as in 2.6.12 kernels!

The audio plays through the ensonic just fine.
I used to be able to "cat" the midi from the UM1 cat /dev/midi1 but this did
not work.
Since I had no midi out, I could not try playing MIDI or "thru"ing the
keyboard using jackqtl to connect the UM1 to the mpu401.

So ...
1. Debian stock kernels are not built with alsa's core. I needed to roll my
own for this.
2. The mpu401 problem remains from 2.6.12.