[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 09:02:14 EDT 2006

Greetings:

  First, I want to thank again everyone who suggested parts and
suppliers. I scored a great buy on a B-stock Sonata II Antec case with
450W power supply (thanks to Paul W for that tip), and I've ordered my
RAM through Crucial (thanks to Mark K and James S for the advice). I
haven't yet decided what HD to buy, I see good prices on 320G drives,
but I'm tempted to stay with my usual plan and install two drives, maybe
two 160G drives. I'm especially interested in finding out if there are
particular brands to avoid, and of course I'd like to know the
recommended brands.

  The AMD64 3800 is still holding at ~$145, I'll probably order it
today. Btw, the model is named Venice, it's a 2.4 GHz single-core socket
939 CPU, and I assume it's good for my purposes. Please advise if I have
other options to explore.

  I'll also order the Zalman CPU fan recommended by Mark K.

  I'm really looking forward to putting this machine together. I've been
running my antique 800 MHz boat-anchor for so long, I can't imagine what
the difference will be like. Very exciting upgrade for Studio Dave. :)

Best,

dp