[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 10:17:14 EDT 2006

On 7/3/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> haven't yet decided what HD to buy, I see good prices on 320G drives,
> but I'm tempted to stay with my usual plan and install two drives, maybe
> two 160G drives. I'm especially interested in finding out if there are
> particular brands to avoid, and of course I'd like to know the
> recommended brands.

<SNIP>

While I nominally do not like the idea of two drives as it most
certainly will cause more noise, one nice longer term option you can
look toward is that if you put two drives in today, using one as a
system drive and the second as an audio drive, should you get
interested later you can take the audio drive, place it in a 1394
drive enclosure and move the drive external to the box. Once you do
this you can use your Ardour sessions on other machines as well as
install the laptop toolset and spin down the system drive completely
for less noise.

Good luck with however you go.

- Mark