[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon Jul 3 20:24:28 EDT 2006

> I've heard of people having trouble with their Western Digital drives,
> but I have had none, I've also extensively used Seagate, Maxtor and
> Western Digital drives, all just fine.

ive had 2 western digital drives. one was somehow fried by the controller. the other sounded like a jet engine taking off. ive had one maxtor, it died. ive heard more stories of maxtors failing than any other, but thats just because the kind of people who use them buy them beacuse theyre cheap, then put them in use on a heavy-traffic ftp site or something. its probably a cost-effective way to go if you use a RAID or build in redundancy via nightly rsync \ darcs synch

ive never had a quantum die. everyone i have still runs, including a 40 mb, and a 1 gb, and a 4 gb. one of them is from 1992. but theyre all SCSI, so i dont ahve much use for them now that i gave away my Macs.