[linux-audio-user] some ALSA questions

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 09:16:56 EDT 2006

Dave Phillips wrote:

>  I'm preparing a final draft of an article re: ALSA and I started
> wondering about whatever happened to modules.conf. In my old RH9 (2.4
> kernel) I was able to freely manipulate the ALSA modules (designate for
> changed a lot in 2.6.x, and /etc/modules.conf is apparently not to be
> edited in Ye Olden Way.

Mark is right, you must edit /etc/modutils/alsa (make sure you don't
have backup files from your editor such as alsa~ lying around,
everything in that dir is used...). Then run update-modules to transport
the changes into modules.conf.

Also: /etc/modprobe.d/sound should be a copy of (or symlink to)
/etc/modutils/alsa(-base). This makes the correct information show up in
/sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/*. I found this important if you
want to control the order of your usb devices.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quartet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk