[linux-audio-user] solaris 9 and audio recomendations

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 5 20:15:12 EDT 2006

kevin kelley wrote:

> This machine is a pci based sparc machine so I can run
> a linux flavor on this machine.

What machine is it btw?

> I got the conputer for
> free  I would like to use it for audio if I can. I am
> not set on running solaris though.

If you want to run the full set of Linux audio apps on this
thing you will need to run Linux or be prepared to do a bunch
of porting work for every app you want to run.

These problems will largely disappear if you run Linux. Sparc
is big endian like PowerPC so any software than will run on
PowerPC Linux should also run on Sparc Linux with nothing more
than a recompile.

Obviously things like binary only Realplayer and Flashplayer
will not be available to you.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo