[linux-audio-user] Re: AMD64 question: update

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri Jul 7 06:16:09 EDT 2006

Loki Davison wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Pieter Palmers <pieterp at joow.be> wrote:
>
>> carmen wrote:
>> achieve
>> in the
>> data
>> has
>> corruption.

>> results?
>> >
>> > im guessing 2 drives , synched nightly via rsync, or in a RAID
>> configuration, is cheaper, and friendlier for the environment than
>> huge/heavy UPS batteries. i guess i'd invest in that if the electricity
>> infrastructure in my area was particularly bad. or in combination with
>> daytime solar replenishing to run completely off-grid.
>> >
>> The RAID does *not* help against power failures. been there, done that.
>>
>> rsync will do, but then you have to make sure that the outage does not
>> occur when running rsync. Anyway it lowers the chance that you'll have
>> problems.
>>
>> > soudns like overkill as a hedge against drive failure though.
>> drives will
>> fail.
>>
>> UPS'es don't prevent mechanical drive failure, but they do prevent
>> 'soft' bad sectors. My belief is that these are the most common.
>>
>> I wouldn't think a 100€ UPS is more overkill than an extra 160G drive
>> (costing about the same) for RAID/rsync mirroring.
>>
>> I've made up my mind about this: 'this UPS is to stay', but feel free
>> not to agree of course ;)
>>
>> Pieter
>>

> 100 euro! for 160G ouch! my 300 gb 16 mb cache sata2 drive was much
> less than that!  I don't really have anything that vitial that loosing
> it would really suck... guess if i ever make some decent recordings...

I have the bad luck of living in an expensive country I guess:

WD Caviar 1600JS : 160 Gb S-ATA II (7200/300-8Mb): 86 euro
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160Gb S-ATA II 8Mb: 88 euro
Maxtor 6V160E0 : 160Gb (7200/300-8Mb) SATA II: 78 euro

MGE Protection Center 420: 89 euro
MGE Protection Center 500 USB: 102 euro

The 300Gb disks are around 120 euro here.

Probably the you'll be able to get a UPS for less then too.

Greets,

Pieter

PS: where did you get these prices?