[linux-audio-user] [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sat Jul 8 17:30:31 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 09:42:43PM +0000, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> But hydrogen source uses rand() as a random generator, when I've heard
> that random() is much better (more uniform distribution) and in fact I
> also changed rand() to random() from v0.0.1 to 0.0.2.

>From the man page:

  The versions of rand() and srand() in the Linux C Library use the same
  random number generator as random() and srandom(), so the lower-order
  bits should be as random as the higher-order bits.  However, on older
  rand() implementations, and on current implementations on different
  systems, the lower-order bits are much less random than the higher-
  order bits.

And even that doesn't matter unless you use only the lower bits.
There is certainly no difference in the distribution if you divide
by RAND_MAX to a [0...1] float result.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!