[linux-audio-user] AMD Turion 64 X2 ?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jul 9 10:57:43 EDT 2006

Hallo,
oz hat gesagt: // oz wrote:

> I have sympathy for a new notebook with AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core
> cpu. It would open some new possibilities, like virtualization
> (pacifica, xen etc.), pure AMD64 Debian arch, other 32-bit OS' and -
> and that is the question - good realtime-audio performance?

I would say be careful with AMD laptops and Linux. Intel machines tend
to be much better supported because there are open source drivers for
the other parts inside these machines like WLAN, gfx card (if it's
Intel) etc. while AMD laptops often use NVidia chipsets and gfx cards
or similar stuff by ATi for which you need to install binary drivers
sometimes, that may mess up other things like power management in
strange ways. 64bit isn't that important for audio anyways. Getting a
laptop to run flawlessly is hard enough, don't make it harder on
yourself by buying hardware without open source drivers.

Ciao