[linux-audio-user] [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Jul 12 11:02:48 EDT 2006

tim hall wrote:

>Really I'm yearning for analog synths, I have fond memories of playing with
>MS10s, SH101s and my old Pro1 and the kind of resonant filter sweeps that are
>possible with analog filters. Is the sound I am looking for simply not
>possible digitally? Would anyone with the appropriate skills consider
>modelling VCS3 or Prophet filters in software? The closest application is
>probably Alsa Modular Synth for what I want (as I'd like to be able to filter
>samples too), but it does appear to have limitations. I shall persevere,
>obviously.

I still own (and use) a Korg MS20. I had an MS10 also, but sold it two
years ago to pay some bills  :-) . I'm not a DSP expert but what makes
these synths unique were their unpredictability and their lack of
precision. An analog circuit like that is sensible to temperature, humidity.
The difference between a real analog synth and a soft synth is much like
the difference between a tape recorder and a digital recorder. We're
used to the sound of the first kind, a sound that is determined by the
intrinsic limitations of that technology.

If we reproduce or store our performance in bits anyway, there's no
difference between a well programmed soft synth and a real analog apart
from the fact that the first one sound (and has been designed to sound)
too perfect.

Isn't, again, a matter of introducing a bit of randomicity (if this is
the correct term)?

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com