[linux-audio-user] Re: 64bit vs 32bit (was: Re: AMD64 question: update)

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 07:01:50 EDT 2006

Just a short note, since I notice that i don't really know much about
processor-internals to make deeper comments on "64bit vs 32bit"
anymore...

2006/7/13, carmen <_ at whats-your.name>:
> seems like theres no real difference. except of course that if you run
> 64bit, you need to have your entire depchain down to glibc installed twice
> if you want to watch youtube or use PD :)

PD runs in native 64bit mode just fine on my turion64 with gentoo.

And for every proprietary app, that needs 32bits, gentoo has the right
environment available and installs it via emerge without you doing
anything...

The last time an (audio) app didn't compile in 64bit was specimen
(back then when it was activly developed), I wrote a report to the
author and a day later it was running (basicly compilation stopped
because of -Werror and a warning about casting a pointer to an int of
different size).

I even marked some 32bit apps as stable for 64bit on my system.

So in my point the argument "some things don't (yet) run on 64bit"
doesn't count a cent. :-)

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/